Harsh reality for local commerce - several retailers are closing
Numerous retailers are facing these issues. Since the turn of the year it has been widely known that the café Bakhaket along with the interior decorating store Önska and Johanne Delikatesser & Kuriosa are closing. Meanwhile trades such as restaurants, hair parlours and entertainment are doing quite well.
– We are facing considerable challenges were the customers trade patterns are partial to the blame of the shifting numbers in customers. It’s no secret that needs change and the commerce must adapt to the needs of the clientele. I think you need to address the synergy between shops and opening hours, in order to reel customers in when they want to shop, says Nils-Petter Nilsson CEO of Växjö citysamverkan.
Certain premises in Växjö City are glaringly vacant but according to Nils-Petter Nilsson there are interested parties for all of them. It’s just a matter of finding the right tenant.
– The problem is that several of the premises are far too big. What’s requested instead is more showroom and smaller layouts.
The traders in Växjö City are saying that the construction in central Växjö and along main street has caused problems regarding accessibility. Customers find it difficult to enter the city and once they are there finding a parking spot can be difficult.
– The city’s reconstruction was begun hastily and it’s evident that the construction on main street wasn’t convenient regarding Christmas shopping, however the result will be worth it. A lot of people are raising the issues regarding parking spots even though there are parking spots available, you just need to know where to find them. There is free parking at Spetsamossen and in Tegnérhuset it’s free for several hours.
Växjö City has worked together with property owners, traders and the municipality to create a vision for the city. The vision address ideas, requests and dreams that are meant to make up a “to-do list”.
– We must remodel the city in order to future-proof central Växjö by making the town centre attractive again. Which right now is about availability and direct measures to help commerce, such as the issues with parking, says Nils-Petter Nilsson and continues:
– At the same time, it’s up to the retailers to take responsibility and take care of their business. In order to survive you need to be flexible and not gripe whilst it’s strenuous.